March 29, 2012
SC4 to celebrate National Community College Month 2012 in April
April is National Community College Month, and community colleges across the nation are planning events to celebrate. St. Clair County Community College in Port Huron will be offering numerous activities.
Events planned for April include:
For details about SC4 events in April, visit www.sc4.edu/collegemonth.
- Watercolor art exhibition — The work of watercolorist Mike Henry is on display through April 17 in the Fine Arts Galleries. Show hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Benefit drag show — Student club Gay-Straight Alliance will have a benefit drag show from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, April 4, in the Fine Arts Theatre. Proceeds will benefit Safe Horizons in Port Huron.
- National Walking Day — SC4’s Wellness Committee will participate in the American Heart Association’s National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 4, with two walks for students, faculty and staff.
- Student Recognition Ceremony — Students will be honored for academic, leadership and service excellence at a ceremony from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 11, in the Fine Arts Theatre.
- Holocaust remembrance program — Holocaust survivors will share their stories during this program from 10 a.m. to noon Thursday, April 12, in Room 201 of the Clara E. Mackenzie Building. The program is sponsored by the Global Awareness Club.
- Grad Fest — As part of a celebration leading up to Commencement in May, SC4 students will receive their caps and gowns and graduation information Thursday, April 12.
- Free noon concerts — SC4 will present jazz group The Royal Garden Trio in concert at noon Thursday, April 12. The annual “Tapestry” student music, theatre and dance presentation will take place at noon Thursday, April 19. Both shows are free in the Fine Arts Theatre.
- Staff Recognition Dinner — SC4 employees will be honored for service Friday, April 13.
- Free College Day — SC4 will offer its annual Free College Day on Saturday, April 14. In honor of the event’s 10th anniversary, SC4 is bringing back popular Free College Day classes from throughout the past decade. In addition, this year’s event will have the most classes in its history. Online registration at www.sc4.edu/freecollege runs through Tuesday, April 10.
- SC4 Symphonic Band concert — The SC4 Symphonic Band will perform its “Moments in Time” concert with the SC4 Choir at 4 p.m. Sunday, April 15, at McMorran Place Auditorium in Port Huron. For ticket information, call (810) 985-6166.
- SC4 Career Fair — The college will offer its annual Career Fair from noon to 3 p.m. Wednesday, April 18, in the College Center Atrium and Café. College students and alumni can gain exclusive admission from noon to 2 p.m. The event will open to the public from 2 to 3 p.m. The Career Fair offers job seekers a chance to meet employers and learn about job opportunities.
- SC4 Alumni Association Detroit Tigers bus trip – The SC4 Alumni Association is offering a bus trip to see a Detroit Tigers game Saturday, April 21, at Comerica Park in Detroit. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The cost is $40 and includes a ticket to the game, the bus trip and a food voucher at the game. Call (810) 989-5760 for tickets.
- Patterns Artwork and Sophomore Portfolio Show — An art show will exhibit selected sophomore student art, as well as work from artists who contributed to the 54th edition of Patterns, a literary and arts publication featuring work from SC4 students. The show runs April 22 to May 4.
- Patterns Reception — A reception to celebrate the release of the 54th edition of Patterns will be from 2 to 6 p.m. Sunday, April 22, in the Fine Arts Theatre and College Center Atrium. Copies of Patterns will be available.
- Bone marrow donor registration drive — SC4 in cooperation with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and DKMS Americas will have a bone marrow donor registration drive from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 25, in the Memorial Room of the Clara E. Mackenzie Building.
- Art Hop — SC4 will participate in the Art Hop from 5 to 9 p.m. Friday, April 27. The event is sponsored by the Blue Water Young Professionals and will feature trolleys that will take participants to various arts and entertainment events across the Blue Water Area. The trolley stop at SC4 will allow participants to explore the Fine Arts Galleries and hear local musicians.
- Athletics — The college has numerous athletic events in April, as SC4’s baseball team plays home games at Sanborn Park in Port Huron and the softball team plays home games at Pine Grove Park in Port Huron.