St. Clair County Community College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org or (312) 263-0456), the recognized regional accreditation agency. The college is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges.
The college has been approved by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for the training of non-quota, alien students admitted under Section 4(e) of the Immigration Act of 1924.
Contact the Office of the College President if you wish to review the Statement of Affiliation Status.
The Higher Learning Commission; Member - North Central Association; Michigan Department of Education.
ASSESSMENT OF STUDENT LEARNING
St. Clair County Community College is committed to excellence in education. To ensure this excellence, the college has instituted a plan to assess student learning and to analyze the college's impact on its students to improve teaching and learning. The various procedures used in the assessment plan are designed to gather information and will not affect an individual student's progress in his/her program, grades and/or graduation.
St. Clair County Community College began as Port Huron Junior College, which was the Junior College Department of the Port Huron School District. The college was established by act of the Board of Education of the Port Huron School District under Michigan State Law in 1923 and began operation in the same year. It has continued without interruption since that time.
The St. Clair County Community College District was established by a vote of the people June 12, 1967, which transformed the former Port Huron Junior College into a county-wide community college. Final approval of the transfer was given by the Michigan State Board of Education, which authorized an effective day of January 1, 1968.
The parent institution, Port Huron Junior College, had developed a tradition of academic excellence beginning with its establishment in 1923. The college first received its accreditation from the North Central Association in 1931, and at the same time, from universities throughout the United States and foreign countries. A transfer of this accreditation was made by the North Central Association during the 1968-69 school year to the community college.
During its early years, the college program was largely academic. Since 1954, a variety of programs of a vocational-technical nature have been established.
COLLEGE CAMPUS AND BUILDINGS
St. Clair County Community College's 25-acre main campus is in downtown Port Huron.
The historic Main Building (MB) is home to most of the college's administrative offices. The four-story Main Building also includes classrooms and offices for several academic departments.
The North Building (NB) includes the gymnasium, which is used for intercollegiate athletics, intramural sports and physical education classes; offices for several academic departments; and classrooms.
The Clara E. Mackenzie Building (CEM) houses science labs, classrooms, faculty offices and a lecture hall.
The A.J. Theisen Building (AJT) includes classrooms and computer labs for communication design and computer and office technology, as well as faculty offices and the college's Office of Information Technology.
The College Center (CC) houses the Library, Achievement Center, disability services, cafe and multipurpose areas for meetings and events.
The Fine Arts Building (FAB) includes the Fine Arts Theatre, Fine Arts Galleries, television and radio studios, music practice rooms, a band and choir rehearsal hall, and separate areas devoted to art and communications media programs.
The Dr. Edward G. Acheson Technology Center (ATC) houses the One-stop Student Services Center to assist students with all functions related to the enrollment process, including admissions, registration, financial aid, advising and payments.
The Citizens First Michigan Technical Education Center (M-TEC) is a facility for business and industry training. The building houses computer labs, multi-media classrooms, corporate meeting rooms and event space. M-TEC is also home to the SC4 University Center, a child-care center operated by the Community Action Agency of St. Clair County and the offices of Economic Development Alliance of St. Clair County.
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Achieving the Dream: Community Colleges Count
American Association of Community Colleges
- American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment
American Council on Education
Association of Community College Trustees
Community College Baccalaureate Association
Council for Higher Education Accreditation
League for Innovation in the Community College
Michigan Community College Association
Michigan Community College Athletic Association
Michigan Community College Virtual Learning Collaborative
National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development
National Junior College Athletic Association
The Higher Learning Commission; North Central Association
State of Michigan Board of Nursing
MISSION AND VISION
St. Clair County Community College provides lifelong educational and enrichment opportunities.
St. Clair County Community College strives to be a leader in our community's renaissance by establishing dynamic partnerships and focused programs that are the top choice for students.