SC4 Home St. Clair County Community College Back
About SC4 | SC4 Podcasts | Annual Report | Our Campus | Off-campus Centers | Get details about upcoming events | History | Maps and Directions | Why SC4? | Contact Us |
St. Clair County Community College began as Port Huron Junior College, which was the Junior College Department of the Port Huron School District. The college was established by act of the Board of Education of the Port Huron School District under Michigan State Law in 1923 and began operation in the same year. It has continued without interruption since that time.
The St. Clair County Community College District was established by a vote of the people on June 12, 1967, which transformed the former Port Huron Junior College to a county-wide community college. Final approval of the transfer was given by the Michigan State Board of Education, which authorized an effective day of January 1, 1968.
The parent institution, Port Huron Junior College, had developed a tradition of academic excellence beginning with its establishment in 1923. The college first received its accreditation from the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org, (312) 263-0456) in 1931, and at the same time, from universities throughout the United States and foreign countries. A transfer of this accreditation was made by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org, (312) 263-0456) during the 1968-69 school year to the community college.
During its early years, the college program was largely academic. Since 1954 a variety of programs of a vocational-technical nature have been established at the college.
Click here for more facts about SC4.
Copyright © 2013 St. Clair County Community College, 323 Erie Street, P.O. Box 5015, Port Huron MI 48061-5015 | (810) 989-5500 | 1-800-553-2427 | text/wireless