Complement your campus schedule with online classes to complete your degree. Complete degrees online, including an associate in arts, associate of business transfer, associate in general education or health care provider to registered nurse associate degree (with campus visits required for some courses).
As an online student, you can take classes and complete coursework on your schedule, learning anywhere you have a computer and Internet connection. With fewer trips to campus, you’ll save on gas and time while completing your degree.
If online courses work for you, consider the following:
- Expect to spend three to four hours a week for every credit hour the online course is worth.
- To be an effective online student, you should be comfortable with browsing the Internet, communicating by email, following links to other sites, printing online pages and sending files from your computer.
- When searching for classes on the WAVE registration system, choose “ONL-Online” to see what online classes are available each semester.
- SC4's academic advisors can help determine if online classes are right for you.
- Call (810) 989-5520
Call the Center for eLearning if you have any questions about online classes: (810) 989-5525
SC4 uses Canvas to deliver online courses. You can click on the logo below to go directly to Canvas.
There are certain technology requirements that are important to learning online.
As a general rule Canvas will support the latest two versions of any browser listed below. Be sure to keep your browser updated. If you have upgraded your browser but still see a warning banner saying that Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas, log out of Canvas and delete your browser cookies.
It is recommended that you have at least one other browser downloaded so there are two browsers on your computer.
- Internet Explorer 11 (Windows only—please make sure your operating system is also current; you may need to download the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to submit Canvas assignments) Download: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer.aspx
- Safari 9 and 10 (Macintosh only) Download: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204416
- Chrome 56 and 7 Download: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/desktop/
- Firefox 51 and 52 are not supported. Download: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
Note: Microsoft Edge is the default browser on Windows 10. It is NOT a supported browser at this time.
Be sure to keep browser plug-ins up to date on your computer.
- Java – http://www.java.com (The Conference tool uses it for screen sharing.)
- Flash 24 and 25 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Flash Player – http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
- Acrobat Reader - http://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Reliable Internet access (high-speed preferred).
- Microsoft Word (Office 2010 or later). Other Office software may be required depending on the course.
- Speakers or headphones.
- Other hardware or software needs will be listed in the syllabus.
NOTE: Due to federal and state regulations around State Authorization, SC4 can only serve online students from certain states. Click here to see a complete list. If you are an online student and have a complaint, review the Student Complaint Process.
Contact the SC4 Helpdesk with any questions at (844) 802-9399.